If you’re about to sell and your current home needs roof repairs, you should consider getting it re-tiled before you put it on the market.
They might not be as glamorous as a kitchen makeover, but big-ticket, structural items like your roof’s age and condition are things buyers look for. The exterior of your home is the first thing buyers will see, so you want it to look good – missing shingles, tiles or siding problems will all get noticed, prompting difficult questions and potentially decreasing your asking price. That’s why, if you know your roof is at the end of its life, it makes sense to replace it before you start advertising the process to encourage buyers to make an offer faster.
According to experts, a new or updated roof can impact significantly on home resale values. You can expect to add around $20K to your asking price and recover 68.4% of your installation costs – which puts roof repairs above installing or remodelling a kitchen or bathroom when it comes to return on investment.
If your home’s more than two decades old, you should replace the roof tiles as a matter of course – even if there are no visible leaks or issues. Upgrading your tiles will immediately allow you to set your asking price higher because:
- It increases your home’s curb appeal
- Potential buyers will have greater peace of mind and assurance your property has fewer costly hidden repairs
- Attracting more buyers means you’ll sell faster, thereby reducing any maintenance costs, marketing and agent fees you’d accrue from being on the market longer.
You can also invest in the latest energy-efficient roof choices to reduce heating and cooling bills – a huge selling factor for buyers at the moment. Over a third of househodl energy cost usage comes from the healting and cooling of a premises. Upgrading your home's roofing to be more energy efficient when heating/cooling can be a huge drawcard and can add to the value of the property that a prospective buyer.
6 Reasons to Undertake Roof Tiling Repairs Before Remodelling a Bathroom in a Nutshell:
- Boost your resale value. Upgrading a leaky or damaged roof will raise your asking price by over $20K.
- Great ROI. You’ll recover almost 70% of your roof tiling repairs cost – that’s a better return than you’d get from updating your kitchen or bathroom.
- Up your kerbside appeal. When it comes to buying a house, people do judge it by its outside cover. A new roof will look amazing and attract more interested buyers to your home.
- Instant online attraction. We're not talking about a dating app, we're talking about the value that a great photo on any online sales platforms like realestate.com.au might bring. Much like the curbside appearl tip, this promotes the house with an amazing 'selfie' from afar and might just be the difference in the user swiping right...err, enquiring.
- Fewer inspection issues. When a house goes on the market, the roof is a highly visible feature, and one building inspectors will focus minutely on. If your roof is in bad condition, it can stop a sale dead – so get in ahead of time to forestall any quibbles.
- Forestall any problems after sale. As significant roof repairs are often expensive, restoring or replacing it before you welcome inspections saves you from potential liability if your roof leaks after the deed is signed and you haven’t disclosed the issue prior to sale.
- Attractive eco-conscious options. With energy prices going through the roof, potential buyers will flock to a property with greater energy-efficiency.
Roof tiling repairs are a sizeable investment – make sure you choose a company that can give you complete peace of mind. If you have any questions, we’re here to help.